Wednesday, February 15, 2012

365 Reasons Why I Love You

One of my favorite movies is My Best Friend's Wedding.  There's a scene where Julianne (Julia Roberts) is on a Chicago boat tour with her best friend, Michael (Demont Mulroney), a few days before his wedding to Kimmie (Cameron Diaz). While Michael is busy talking about how Kimmie isn't afraid of public affection, Julianne struggles with her own thoughts of being in love with her best friend, who is going to marry someone else.

Michael:  "Kimmie says that if you love someone, you say it.  Right then.  Out loud.  Otherwise, the moment just..."
Julianne:  "Passes you by."
Michael:  "Passes you by.  Yeah."


I do believe that everyone has trouble expressing love, regardless of how long they have known their significant other.  Sometimes you just need to tell someone how much he/she means to you, and how grateful you are for them -- especially for the daily, simple things.  If your husband cleans the garage for you, if your wife packs you a lunch, or if your boyfriend does a load of laundry so you won't have to, then... thank them.  Tell them you love them.  Right then, out loud.  Otherwise, the moment will pass you by, and all of these little things will be go unnoticed.

I try my best to do this, and often.  But sometimes, life just takes over, and I forget to thank Evan for being a wonderful husband and for being there, every single day, for me.  That's why I made him a simple yet sentimental gift for Valentine's Day this year.  I call it 365 Reasons Why I Love You because it is meant to be an entire year's worth of daily reminders of how much I love and appreciate Evan.  This is a long-lasting, extremely versatile gift that can also be given on an anniversary, a birthday, or "just because."

First, I went to Michael's for a tall, rectangular glass canister with a lid on it.  


Then, using three different colors of cardstock that I had back at home, I cut 365 equal-sized strips of paper and numbered them so that I could keep track of how many I had.  Over a period of a couple weeks, I jotted down one reason on each slip of paper of why I love Evan.  Some were elaborate, others made me cry, a few were corny, and a good handful were just plain hilarious.  


Once these were done, I folded them in half and then packed them into the canister. I taped a square of white paper with "365 Reasons Why I Love You" to the lid, and finished the canister with a ribbon that matched the color theme.





And that's it!  A simple, inexpensive, but thoughtful gift.  Evan enjoys choosing one slip of paper to read each morning before he goes to work.  It makes me smile, too.


11 comments:

  1. Oh my, I LOVE this idea. I'm totally pinning it. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I'm happy to be your newest follower. :)
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karah! I'm still loving your pup silhouettes! I've pinned those, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,I am coming to you from the linky followers blog hop and I am happy to be your newest lf follower. If you would like to follow me back, I can be found at http://www.measuredbytheheart.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie! I'm your newest follower, as well!

      Delete
  3. What a charming idea! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting such a great party!

      Delete
  4. Such a sweet valentines day gift! You clearly put so much time and thought into it, and I'm sure that it will make everyday at work that much better for him. Love the reference to My Best Friend's Wedding! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!! So simple and thoughtful...love it!

    Visiting from Nutmeg Place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kirsten, Stopping by to let you know I featured your 365 I love yous today!
    Kim@madeinaday
    http://madeinaday.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw, and was completely surprised! Thank you so much! You are TOO sweet. I've linked again. :)

      Delete
  7. If there were repeting reasons? I love my husband much but 365 reasons)))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my post today! Your comment will surely put a smile on my face!

©2012 Blog design by Katelyn Brooke Designs