Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Master Bathroom Reveal

We're finally done!  It certainly has felt like an eternity since I first started this project, but I couldn't be happier with the result!

We started with a bare, builder's grade master bathroom with little color and lots of chrome and brass fixtures.



We first removed the duo theater dressing room-style light fixtures from the vanity area.


While doing this, Evan noticed that the old lights had been installed without electrical boxes, mounted on top of a gaping hole with the electrical wires jutting out of it.  Kind of a fire hazard.  He remedied this by buying two electrical boxes from Lowe's, installing them into the wall, and plastering the remaining gaps in the wall.  That way, the new light fixtures could be safely anchored into these electric boxes.


The next day, Evan installed two oil rubbed bronze light fixtures from Lowe's.


He also replaced the two chrome sink faucets with oil rubbed bronze faucets, also from Lowe's.


The double-sink vanity was a builder's grade maple color.  It looked and felt cheap.  I don't think the mismatching chrome faucets and gold hardware helped this matter.  


To fix this, I sanded the entire vanity, removed and sanded the cabinet doors, and gave it one coat of with Cabot's "Ebony" penetrating wood stain.  I sealed it with polyurethane, as well.


And then I started painting!  The wall color is Olympic's "Alpine Valley," which is complimentary to the "Teal Zeal" of our master bedroom.


Since the new light fixtures, sink faucets, and vanity were now dark, I spray painted all of the chrome and brass hand towel holders, bath towel rack, electric outlet covers, toilet paper holder, and linen closet / vanity door knobs with Rustoleum's matching "Oil Rubbed Bronze."




We wanted to replace the tub faucet, but were intimidated by how expensive new Roman tub faucets were.  Due to the tile surrounding the tub, Evan also wasn't sure how to install a new faucet without completely removing the tub.  To remedy this, I decided to spray paint the faucet with the same Rustoleum as all of the previous hardware.




To go with the same theme, we also replaced the gold door knobs on both the main bathroom door and the shower stall / toilet door.  The details of this change are explained in this December post.



I also painted the ceiling with leftover Olympic "Volcanic Ash" from my master bedroom project.  It had the same silver Valspar paint crystals in it; at nighttime, the ceiling resembles a starry evening.


Our master bathroom had two large, empty walls -- one above the garden tub and the other above the toilet in the adjacent room.  I decided to create some functional interest here by building and installing five pallet wood floating shelves, which were stained the same "Ebony" as the vanity.  These have ended up being my favorite, defining thing about the room.


In addition, I decided to "finish" the builder's grade vanity mirrors by adding molding to frame them.



By this point, our master bathroom had received a pretty extensive makeover.  But I wasn't finished yet.  I wanted something spectacular.  Therefore, we added crown molding, too!


And I finished the room with one set of simple, DIY curtains.


Remember the before?



Well, here's the after!










Our budget didn't allow us to install crown molding in the shower/toilet room, but I think that it looks great just as it is.







A few details:










It was a ton of work, but I'm completely in love with it.  Tutorials will come later this week!  Hope you like it, too.  :)


You may find me linking up at these fantastic parties:

Monday: Boogieboard CottageBurlap and DenimC-R-A-F-TCraft-O-ManiacDIY Home Sweet Home,  Everything Under the MoonGet Outta My Head PleaseThe Girl CreativeThe Graphics FairyMad in CraftsMaking the World CuterOur Delightful HomePolish the StarsSerendipity and SpiceSew Can DoSew Happy GeekSkip to My LouThrifty Decor ChickToo Much Time on My HandsTuesday: A Bowl Full of LemonsCherished BlissCoastal CharmConfessions of a Stay at Home MommyFunky Polka Dot Giraffe,  I'm Topsy TurvyJillify ItThe Kurtz CornerMommy By Day Crafter by NightNap Time CreationsNatural NestersNot Just a HousewifeSugar Bee Crafts,  Sweet Little GalsTales of a Trophy WifeTip JunkieToday's Creative BlogWednesday: Free Pretty Things for YouGinger Snap CraftsHome Happy HomeJAQS StudioLet Birds FlyThe NY Melrose FamilyRae Gun RamblingsThe Sasse LifeSew Much AdoSew WoodsySomeday CraftsSouthern LovelyThursday: A Creative PrincessA Glimpse InsideCrafty, Scrappy, HappyHouse of HepworthsJust Winging ItMade in a DayThe Shabby Creek CottageSomewhat SimpleThrifty DecoratingYesterday on TuesdayFriday: 2805The Answer is ChocolateBacon Time with the Hungry HypoCreation CornerFinding FabulousFingerprints on the FridgeThe Grant LifeHappy-Go-LuckyMom 4 RealMy Simple Home LifeNot So Functional HousewifeNot Your Ordinary RecipesOne Artsy MamaPerfectly ImperfectThe Rooster and the HenSimply DesigningTatertots and JelloWhipperberryYoung and CraftySaturday: Be Different... Act NormalCandace CreationsFunky Junk InteriorsIt's OverflowingIt's So Very CheriNutmeg PlaceSunday: The Crafty CowgirlEmbellishing Life with Homemade GoodnessFlamingo ToesG*RatedNifty Thrifty Things

42 comments:

  1. Such a great makeover! You really transformed your bathroom. I love the changes you made! Visiting from Everything Under the Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love how many changes you can make with paint? It looks like a different room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! We would love to have you link this up to our party! http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunday-best-fashion-crafts.html

    -chelz
    griffithsrated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!! Great job!!

    http://www.seesewandseedlings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea to just spraypaint everything! and i love the 3 shelves behind the toilet-i'm looking for some ideas like this for the half bath we've added to the basement. thanks for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a big difference! You did a really good job! I like the shelves and the new framed mirrors! I'm following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great color choice for the ceiling! And the wood shelves above the toilet look fab! Thanks for linking up at Burlap & Denim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've really done a nice job personalizing your bathroom. It's beautiful.
    I'm your newest follower and hope you stop over and follow me on GFC.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an amazing job..you took away all signs of the builders grade materials!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg! i absolutely love it! seriously, this is amazing. well done, girl. you guys should be very proud of yourselves. i especially love the new vanity's look and the painted ceiling..ooh ooh and the palet wood shelves. all of it is so creative and it looks great!

    stoppin by from turquoise tuesday.
    hope you'll check out my blog.
    mybagofsunshine.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out great! I love the shelving and your use of spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new bathroom is amazing, nice work. Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing! Amazing what a difference that ORB spray paint can make, isn't it?? And I love the frames you put on the mirrors, what a difference. I would love to try the paint crystals in my house someday, sounds so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness....What a great bathroom transformation! I would love it if you would link up at my linky party going on now! Can't wait to see you there!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. GORGEOUS! Mine is on my to-do list. Pretty please come join my party. You are entered to win some free jewelry, just for linking up: http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/03/will-craft-forfree-fly-paint-jewelry.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous makeover! Just wanted to let you know that this will be featured on Someday Crafts later this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you master bath looks gorgeous! I can totally appreciate all your hardworking.
    I just linked up our before and after of our first house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now a new Linky follower :)

      Delete
    2. I agree!! The blue you chose for the master bedroom bathroom is gorgeous. I love to see people taking on projects themselves!

      One of our teams is producing a study on home improvement and would love feedback from the DIYers visiting this blog. If anyone has just 2 minutes, we would appreciate your help!

      http://pace.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d4q3AGdDe64uEbH

      Delete
  18. What a great makeover!! I love love love the open shelving and the wall color!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the color you went w/ on the walls! Good job on your faucets! Beautiful make over!

    ReplyDelete
  20. PS. New follower on GFC and Linky...came from Happy Hour Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is an amazing transformation!!!! Love all the details you added and coordinated. Have a fabulous weekend!
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful room! Love that you two did SO MUCH of it DIY!

    Great job!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  23. You guys have been so busy! I LOVE your bathroom! I love the contrast between the ceiling and walls, very nice!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Show Off Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your bathroom transformation is amazing-following you from TDC-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You were featured!

    http://www.thesasselife.com/2012/03/crafty-sasse-wednesday-link-party-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Beautiful! I love that you weren't afraid to use lots of color! Very nice job!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just love so many elements! The painted ceiling. The framed out mirrors. The shelves. The fact that you spray painted the hardware ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous redo! Love the "starry" ceiling and the spray painted hardware! Bring a glass of wine in there and enjoy a hot bath!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! I'd love to have you join my party that just opened!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  30. Holy Moly! The tranformation is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this at Whimsy Wednesdays. You have inspired me to make changes in my bathroom. My husband is not going to like you very much. Lol! I will be featuring this next week at Whimsy Wednesdays so make sure to stop back!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can't believe it. You made a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Did you calk inside the lower edge of the mirror frame? I think I bought the same crown moulding to use as a frame and now I'm afraid it'll get dirty int he little gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christa! Great question. Yes, I caulked inside the lower edge of the mirror frame because there was a little gap there and I thought the caulk would make it more polished. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done that. The caulk smeared a bit on the mirror and is impossible to get off. I've since framed other bathroom mirrors without adding the caulk afterward, and they look fantastic! So, no caulk. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Seeing the reflection of that gap doesn't drive you crazy?

      Delete
  33. GREAT JOB! How did you attach the pallet shelves and can you provide some steps on how you made those shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow looks amazing!

    Please take a moment to fill out an anonymous 5min survey to help Pace University students understand the home improvement industry by clicking the link below.

    http://pace.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d4q3AGdDe64uEbH

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hurrah! Finally I got a website from where I be capable of genuinely obtain useful
    information regarding my study and knowledge.


    Feel free to visit my web blog ... low carb chili

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my post today! Your comment will surely put a smile on my face!

©2012 Blog design by Katelyn Brooke Designs