Monday, February 18, 2013

DIY Stone Accent Wall

When we first saw our house in August 2011, Evan noted that the main focal wall in the living room would look great if it was made out of stone.  We agreed that it'd also help out with the house's character since it didn't have a fireplace.  After we bought the house, we looked into installing a stone wall, but most of the options were pretty steep in price.  And, being new homeowners, we really didn't have much money to spare.

The Living Room: Before Move-In
Evan and I recently stumbled upon a Lowe's display featuring a new product called Airstone.  This is a composite stone material that is light enough to be adhered directly to drywall and easily cut using just a regular hacksaw.  A whole wall's worth of the product isn't cheap, but is much less expensive than the alternatives.  Therefore, we bought seven Airstone boxes in "Autumn Mountain" and five tubs of adhesive, and decided that now was a good time to get this project done!


The stones are available in individual boxes as flat, corner, or natural edges to create an authentic look.  We wanted to cover the wall in a single column, and not wrap it around any corners.  Therefore, we bought only flat and natural edged stones.  The stones arrived in an assortment of shapes and colors, are lightweight, and are approximately an inch in depth. 



Before we got started with the stonework, we first had to prep the area by cleaning the wall and dismantling the TV wall mount.  


We wanted the electric outlet to mount over the top of the stone, so we turned off the circuit breaker to the room and unscrewed the outlet from the wall temporarily.


This wall is also adjacent to our staircase, so we cut off a portion of our banister using a sawzall to remove it from the wall.  This would allow for the stones to be installed behind the banister rail.


Finally, since we wanted the stone to begin from the floor, we pried off the baseboard from the wall and discarded it.


Now, the real work began!


I started in one corner of the wall with a natural edge stone.  To secure it to the wall, I slathered on a coat of Airstone adhesive on the back of the stone by using a putty knife.  It was very much like icing a cupcake.  



I applied the stone directly to the wall and held it in place for a few seconds.  Then, I continued down the wall using flat edged stones until I met the opposite corner.


When I reached the electric outlet, corners, or simply needed to trim a piece of stone to make it fit, all I needed to use was a hand-held hacksaw.  


I found it easiest to work on two or three rows at a time.  That way, I could ensure that I wasn't repeating the same color or shape all the time.  Some of the stones came in larger squares or rectangles that were double the size of the others.  By having many options available on the wall, it was easier to tell where those larger pieces could fit nicely.  I also kept a wet rag handy in case I applied too much adhesive and it began to ooze.



The installation of this stone wall couldn't have been any easier.  All you have to do is sort, putty, occasionally trim, and then stick each stone on the wall.  That being said, it was fairly time consuming, in that it took me eight hours to complete the wall.  Well worth it!


Once the stonework was finished, we waited for the adhesive to dry overnight before setting everything back into place. The following day, we screwed the banister back into the wall, reattached the electric outlet, and re-installed the TV mount.  All of which was done by drilling pilot holes into the stones first, and then using longer screws so that they reached the drywall and studs.


Remember the before?


Well, here's the after! 



We recently installed track lighting in our living room, so the new fixtures really showcase this wall, too.


The wall looks and feels like it is made out of real stone.  I had accidentally cracked a few pieces whenever I exerted too much pressure on its application; however, this resulted in a look that seems almost more genuine.






We don't recognize our living room now, and couldn't be more pleased with the result.  The wall is beautiful, simple, and purely cosmetic, but it might very well be my favorite DIY addition to our house.  It's the perfect accent wall.



I hope to have our living room completed within the next few weeks for the ultimate reveal.  Stay tuned!

You may find me linking up at these fantastic parties:

Monday: Boogieboard CottageBurlap and DenimC-R-A-F-TCraft-O-ManiacDIY Home Sweet Home,  Everything Under the MoonGet Outta My Head PleaseThe Girl CreativeMad in CraftsMaking the World CuterOur Delightful HomePolish the StarsSerendipity and SpiceSew Can DoSkip to My LouThrifty Decor ChickToo Much Time on My HandsTuesday: A Bowl Full of LemonsCherished BlissCoastal CharmConfessions of a Stay at Home MommyFunky Polka Dot Giraffe,  I Gotta Try ThatI'm Topsy TurvyJillify ItThe Kurtz CornerMommy By Day Crafter by NightNap Time CreationsNatural NestersNot Just a HousewifeSugar Bee Crafts,  Sweet Little GalsTales of a Trophy WifeTip JunkieToday's Creative BlogWednesday: Adorned from Above, Free Pretty Things for YouGinger Snap CraftsHome Happy HomeIt's Just Called SpicyJAQS StudioLet Birds FlyThe NY Melrose FamilyRae Gun RamblingsThe Sasse LifeSew Much AdoSew WoodsySomeday CraftsSouthern LovelyThursday: A Creative PrincessA Glimpse InsideCrafty, Scrappy, HappyHouse of HepworthsJust Winging ItMade in a DayThe Shabby Creek CottageSomewhat SimpleThrifty DecoratingYesterday on TuesdayFriday: 2805The Answer is ChocolateBacon Time with the Hungry HypoCreation CornerFingerprints on the FridgeThe Grant LifeHappy-Go-LuckyJust Us FourMom 4 RealMy Simple Home LifeNot So Functional HousewifeNot Your Ordinary RecipesOne Artsy MamaPerfectly ImperfectThe Rooster and the HenSimply DesigningTatertots and JelloWhipperberryYoung and CraftySaturday: Be Different... Act NormalCandace CreationsFunky Junk InteriorsIt's OverflowingIt's So Very CheriNutmeg PlaceSunday: The Crafty CowgirlEmbellishing Life with Homemade GoodnessFlamingo ToesG*RatedNifty Thrifty Things

22 comments:

  1. Ok, that's pretty awesome and looks fantabulous! Now I want a stone wall! Found you through the Somewhat Simple link party, and am now your newest follower. Have a great day :)

    Shandy @ aprons-n-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO BEAUTIFUL!! What a difference. Came by from Shabby Creek Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you use it around a gas fireplace?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! totally awesome looking! Love the color choice you picked, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I love your new focal wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdу! Ι'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the outstanding work!

    Feel free to surf to my blog V2 Cigs Reviews
    my website :: Http://Www.Sfgate.Com/Business/Prweb/Article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-Or-4075176.Php

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it really look so sloppy in person? Your pictures show lots of random adhesive on the stones and oozing from the cracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too....and the painted wall showing at the top of the stone. maybe a colored marker or paint could hide that????? Was considering doing that until i saw the close-up pics. It is pretty from a distance for sure. Wonder how durable it is...if easy to accidently make indentions or holes?

      Delete
  8. What an awesome feature wall you have now! I love that idea!
    Stopping by via More the Merrier Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!
    I've always said when I own my own place, I want to cover a wall with river rocks. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great transformation. I love it. Looks completely different. I found you at Diy Home Sweet Home Party. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful transformation, I am so glad you linked it up. I am sharing this on my COM-FB page. Winks, jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! I've seen these types of stone before and was always curious about how they look in real life. It looks great on your wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this~ Your are so brave! I need my fireplace done and I'm thinking this could convince my husband we could do it! Thanks for linking up and sharing last week on Made in a Day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am just stopping back by to let you know I am featuring this tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up to Made in a Day last week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE! What a creative idea! I am really loving all the stone with the pop of orange accent. That wall is definitely an accent piece worthy of attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You wall looks amazing. We just put Airstone in our kitchen as a back splash. I'm with you, it's by far my favorite DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for linking your beautiful wall up to Monday Funday! I featured your project today! xoxo - Cheryl http://www.thatswhatchesaid.net/2013/diy-home-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking project. Thanks for the great tutorial!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to wonder if Airstone has different color adhesives as this one appears to dry white on the stone and in between. Also, the cracked tiles don't look authentic, they just look cracked. Also, I would match the color of the banisters to your dark furniture to tie everything together. Love the wall color!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my post today! Your comment will surely put a smile on my face!

©2012 Blog design by Katelyn Brooke Designs